The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program
(VICAP) is part of a nationwide network of health insurance assistance
programs. Locally, VICAP is sponsored by Senior Connections, The
Capital Area Agency on Aging. Trained volunteer counselors assist
seniors with Medicare and help seniors and caregivers understand and
compare Medicare and other health insurance benefits.
VICAP counselors are not associated with any insurance company and do not sell insurance products. Counseling is non-biased, confidential and free. Counseling is usually by phone, but if necessary, counselors may meet with clients at Senior Connections.
VICAP counselors provide information on:
- Medicare (for seniors and the disabled under 65 with Medicare)
- Medicare Supplemental Insurance
- Medicare Advantage
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D)
- Extra help for Part D
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Medicare Savings Programs for help with Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-payments
- Understanding medical and insurance statements
- Filing claims and appeals
- Medicare and Medicaid Fraud and Abuse
For assistance please call the VICAP Intake Line at 804-343-3014 to leave your question or a brief description of your problem along with your name and phone number. A counselor will contact you in the order in which your call was received. If you would like a speaker for your group, please leave your request on the intake line. You may also send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.